[Coco] ESP8266 BBS setup

ptaylor2446 ptaylor2446 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 19:19:59 EDT 2017

Hello
A few months ago I brought up the subject of running a bbs on the Trs-80 Color Computer but I ran in to some problems because trying to run te bbs under VCC I can not find any support for the Rs232 pack.
Why use the Rs232 pack because it supports carrier detect and is able to receive and send data but it still may work with dialup under Vcc?
One concern was raised if rember correctly is that re-writting the Winsock to send data to the Rs232 pack running in the Vcc slot is that the input speed could not be controled.  Doing several years of programming Winsock supports events including On Data Arrival which the data speed can be controled by (1) buffering the data being reeived and using a timmer to slow the data being sent to the Rs232 pack.  Winsock also offers many be easy because Winsock controls like in VB.Net works off events triggered after a event has hapened. Winsocket control offers a way to even detect if the client drops the connecction and allows the developer to write a very short routine that allows the total amount of connection.
For a example on New Data ConnectionsIf T >1 thenPrint "Sorry the system is busy please try again later."The code is included to close the winsock connectionElse                      T = T +1 Add +1 to the users aconnectedEndif
Timer can be set to run and when the event accures it will transmit only the amount of data that the Rs232 pack can handle.  Also can be used to see if any data has been received from the Rs232 pack.
The Intervals can be set to control how often the timer events runs.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® S2
-------- Original message --------From: Ken Flanagan <kflan at selonia.com> Date: 8/1/17  2:14 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com> Subject: Re: [Coco] ESP8266 BBS setup