[Coco] CocoNIC

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Thu Sep 15 23:52:18 EDT 2016

On 9/15/2016 2:17 PM, Brett Gordon wrote:
> contiki's uIP stack (in C) would be a wee hard to fit into an 16K rom.  I'm
> pretty sure our old BASIC and Nitros need tons of (design) work done to
> make use of the NIC.  Standalone apps are in better shape to use the stack
> than our current OS'es, barring Fuzix, of course.
>
> I do agree, though, that a pxe boot would be neat- and should be just about
> doable in 8k if the tcpip stack was in assembler.
That was my thought.  DHCP + TCP/IP, bare bones, and the only goal was
to open a tcp conn to a server in the ether, pull down X bytes, and jump
to it, would be all that is required.  But, I can do 16kB in the ROM if
needed,

ALSO, if you really need more space, I can put 512kB on the board for
$2.50 total (meaning, if the board was $40.00 without, it'd be 42.50
with).  If so, I'd set it up like CocoFLASH, with 16kB visible in ROM,
16 more for the Coco3, and a register to page through the ROM in 4kB chunks.

Jim