[Coco] reset behavior suggestions?

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Sun Nov 13 01:29:08 EST 2016

I have one more user interface question for folks, if interested.

Designs that try to emulate a cartridge seem to need two "reset" options...

a) a reset that essentially starts the existing game/app/utility over.
One can use this to quickly restart the current app, or reset the game
hoping that the right color scheme shows on the screen
(http://www.coco3.com/community/2006/01/tech-question-color-artifacts/)

b) a reset that resets the master system, loading the menu app from disk
or ROM again, essentially, start from the beginning.

My initial idea was that A and B would be distinguished by how long one
held the reset button.  short press and release: A.  2s+ reset: B

But, that requires a "huge" counter in the design, eating up lots of
CPLD space. The advantage is only needing to press one button, a button
folks are already used to pressing.

Another is to put a reset button on the cartridge itself. Simple.  The
downside is a special purpose button that is only used for reset

A third option is to put a button on the cart that can be used in
conjunction with reset to signify which reset the user wants. This means
the button can have other uses, but it then requires 2 things be pressed
to denote a secondary reset.

There may be other options, not sure.

Thoughts?

Darren, Zippster, others: what method do you use in your designs?

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com