[Coco] deciding to code for OS/9

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Fri May 20 09:19:32 EDT 2016

It is very much like the difference between DOS and Windows.  But even with DOS you had a number of different system calls.  With 'RSDOS' it's practically nothing!  In fact, 'RSDOS' really can't even be qualified as an operating system.

So it depends upon what your mission is. If you need all of the horsepower of the CPU available to you as a programmer or if you have a program that is so timing critical that you are calculating CPU cycles then you probably want to be in the DECB environment. Otherwise, OS9 at least gives you the ability to have more than 158K of storage on a single medium...among a bunch of other things.

Dave Philipsen