[Coco] CoCo OS-9, a short simple explanation

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue May 17 10:13:10 EDT 2016

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Brendan Donahe <brendan at polylith.com>
wrote:

> I remember that by the time I finally got to Unix (SunOS) in college, I
> thought it was odd that there was no way to set the execution directory...
> But many of the other basic concepts I had picked up from OS-9 made
> learning how to drive Unix much easier.
>
> Brendan

I didn't have an OS9 system during the Coco's heyday (didn't even have a
floppy drive).  Many years later I finally got to learn about OS9, and it
blew me away.  It's like unix, if unix was written in asm instead of C.
Early unix was seen as an OS "by programmers, for programmers".  Doing asm
work on OS9 is similar(ish) to doing C work on unix.. it just feels right.

$0.02
-Aaron