[Coco] Over heard at the CoCo Fest

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun May 1 10:50:31 EDT 2016

I was an avid user of the orch90 when I first got my 16k Color Basic Coco 2. In fact, I bough the Coco because of the display in RS, where the Coco had the orch90 playing the demo on repeat through one of their big stereos. Being a musiciam, the idea of composing in 5 voices over a 6 octave range was pretty appealing. Once I bought my first drive and the "Lyra" MIDI sequencer (about 3 yrs later), the Orch90 was forgooten for a while.

There was a utility that came with several of Lester Hand's "Jukebox" players for Musica II that would play Musica files through the Orch90 cart.
My "Sound Chaser" program for Nitros9 will also use the orch90 cart for stereo sound with Musica files. I actually have a player "almost" done for playing the orchestra90 files.
I also have a fully disassembly of the orch90 rom, thanks to Pere and the boys on the Dragon forum who are adapting the rom to work with Dragon disk controllers so that they can use the orch90 with the Dragon. They now have it about 80% working. I think the "SAVE" command is all they're lacking in 100% finished. They also added a couple of extra commands and features. I have been thinking off adding the extras to the Coco version of the rom.

Also, Sock Master's "CocoTracker" will play mod files in stereo through the orch90 cart.
The VCC Coco emulator implementation of the orch90 cart will work with any software that uses the orch90 hardware. I use it to test all my sound software. I also have an orch90 cart in slot 1 of my MPI. I use it quite a bit these days. I didn't have an MPI back in the 80s :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com