[Coco] VCC & Drivewire using new disk image

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Jun 16 10:11:50 EDT 2016

Paulo, I'm not sure but I would think you need to format the disk image first. A non-formated disk will show as "0 Grans Free", a "DF" error is "Disk Full".

DSKINI X

I don't think DW4 creates pre-formatted disks.

Also, creating new disks in DW4 may leave you with a disk that will not load into some emulator's emulated disk drives (due to how DW4 creates the disk).
I prefer to use VCC's creation tool.
Go to "Cartridge/FD-502 Drive-X/Insert", navigate to where you want the disk, type in a "non-existing" disk name. VCC will then prompt you for the format and type. Choose "JVC", uncheck "Double Sided", & "35 Track" for RSDOS disks, or "JVC", check "Double Sided", and select 40 or 80 track according to your drivers.
These disk wil also NOT be formatted and you will have to format them. These disks will load into just about anything.

The problem with DW4's disk creation is that no matter what type/size disk you create, it will create a "variable" sized disk (0 bytes) that "expands" as you fill it. Some emulators will fail on a disk of the wrong physical size. VCC creates a blank disk of the size you select.

BTW... As stated on the Starter Kit website, those packages are exteremely out of date and need updating. I have the updates just about ready, I just have not had time to put the finishing touches on them and get them uploaded.
I would download the newer VCC to replace that one. The VHDs will work the same though the NitrOS9 portion is a little behind in updates, but will function fine.
I should have them updated as soon as I can get a break from my latest ventures back into the music world :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com