[Coco] Real Talker Cartridge

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Jun 9 22:36:18 EDT 2016

tim lindner wrote:
> Is the Real Talker cartridge compatible with the CoCo 3?
>
> I typed in the small sample program from the manual and it did not work.
>
> I'm hoping it just isn't compatible with the CoCo 3.
>
> Anyone know?
>
> I'd test with a CoCo 2 but I don't have one at the moment.

Tim,

I found an old message by Mark Marlette,
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.tandy.coco/91619
which states that the Real Talker will have problems with an MPI that has been
updated for a Coco3.
"Because they mapped the Real Talker in to a RESERVED section of the CC1/2's
memory map, which just so happens to be the CC3's GIME address space ...."
Now that would suggest that the Real Talker would also have problems without an
MPI if used with a Coco-3.

The manual for the Real Talker says the original unit will not work with a
Coco-2 without a ROM update. That is already strange, so the unit may never have
been corrected to work with a Coco-3 but I can't verify that.

You could try to disassemble the ROM to see if it uses "bad" addresses for a Coco3.

Robert