[Coco] Fwd: IP packets on my coco

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Jun 8 02:03:14 EDT 2016

This explanation is pretty straightforward.  It involves basically
bitshifting and XORing but it doesn't seem like it would be terribly
intensive for the CPU.  Once you look at it and think about it a bit
it's not as difficult as it might seem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check

Scroll down to the section entitled "Computation".

Another interesting thing I found is that you could write the CRC
calculation in HDL and use an FPGA or similar device to do the
calculation much faster than a 6809 could do it because it would be
'hardwired' for the task and would run at a much higher clock speed.
Just throwing out an idea....

Dave