[Coco] Cocovid player LIVES!

Ron Klein ron at kdomain.org
Thu Jun 2 10:55:53 EDT 2016

Hi Everyone,

As some of you may know, John Linville developed a video player for the
Color Computer 3 and demo'd it some years back at CocoFEST 2011.  I never
saw it when it was originally released, but stumbled across it a few months
ago when looking at videos of previous CocoFESTs.  I was so impressed with
John's video player and wanted to try it for myself.  I had reached out to
John looking for some information as I didn't know if it was available to
the community.  As it turns out it absolutely is, however, the
documentation is a bit lacking and some components of the project require
special utilities/tools as well as compiling source code.  In other words,
some assembly required...

A few emails back and forth with John answered some of the questions I
had.  From there, I started documenting the entire process making note of
each step along the way.  I will be providing this documentation soon for
others who may wish to try John's Cocovid player for themselves.

In the meantime, I posted a Youtube video of me demo'ing the Cocovid player:

https://youtu.be/iSjNHcmmkN0

My hope is to renew interest in the Cocovid player and get others to use
it.  It's a great way to show off the color capabilities of our "Color
Computers."  Who needs the 256 color mode of the GIME when it's been
showcased so well with this project in software!  Perhaps John will port
his player over the CoCoSDC if there's enough interest...  ahem.

Thanks!

-Ron