[Coco] SuperPak Cartridge Case Pricing

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Wed Jan 20 11:19:54 EST 2016

> On Jan 20, 2016, at 04:01, Boisy G. Pitre <coco at toughmac.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your support and enthusiasm, Mark.
>
> I’ve uploaded photos to this Dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4gkfh2wingkmy5q/AAAM5RSQef1mq8sASH-2owiCa?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4gkfh2wingkmy5q/AAAM5RSQef1mq8sASH-2owiCa?dl=0>

Thank you! It looks very nice. It looks like plastic would need to be cut away for a card with "ears" that engage the grounding clips. I think that I would want to do that for the sorts of hardware I envision making in the future if/when I get around to it, but that hardware would require other case modifications anyway for connectors and the like.

> The 3D model files are in the possession of the designer. He may be willing to release a view only rendering file. I’ll ask.

To be useful for machining purposes, they would need to be accurate solid models (i.e., .STP files or something comparable) that can be imported into a CAD tool and then modified. A CAM tool could then generate tool paths to cut away the removed material. One example of such a tool would be Autodesk Fusion 360, which incorporates both the CAD and CAM functions. I've been using it to drive my Sherline CNC mill. I'm annoyed by the fact that it's one of those danged cloud-based tools, but it's an inexpensive enough option for real 3D CAD/CAM that I put up with that.

Of course, having such a model of the SuperPak also means that people with 3D printers could easily print their own SuperPak cases and/or create their own derivative designs, so the designer might not be comfortable sharing the model.

I would imagine that ensuring enough SuperPak sales to cover the tooling cost is a consideration, too. I don't understand how y'all are managing that. Even soft tooling is expensive for what I see as a very small potential market.

I hope that the models will be shared to encourage use of the SuperPak as raw material to be further machined for hardware projects and products other than simple ROM cartridges. Personally, I'd much rather have an injection molded case than a 3D printed one, even if I need to machine the case to customize it for my application.

If the designer isn't willing to simply share 3D models openly, maybe a compromise could be reached with some sort of NDA for people who want the models for the purpose of machining authentic SuperPak cases?

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/