[Coco] Formatting L.R. Tech Hard Drive in OS9 Level II

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Mon Jan 11 01:45:08 EST 2016

> On Jan 10, 2016, at 22:27, Bill Pierce via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Mark, yes, you'll have to build a new boot. The boot files are in the "NITROS9" dir on the 2nd disk of the 40 trk disk and on the primary on all others.

Ah, now I see rbsuper.dr. I just needed to dig a lot deeper into the directory tree. I hadn't played with Nitros9 before, and now I see that there's more structure that isn't present in original OS9 Level II. Cool!

> You will not find the "llktlr.dr" there, as THAT will have to be custom built, BUT the "rbsuper.dr" and "LLTC3.dr" are both there and the TC3 driver just may work (rbsuper is used with all the LLxx.dr subs).

Maybe I should try out the TC3 driver before digging into building nitros9?

> The makefiles in the repo have to be modified to show you want flag the lrtech build. It's not easy nor fun.... that's a whopper for a newbie.
> There is a tutorial on building the nitros9 repo on the wiki page on the website, but it's quick and dirty and does not get into modifying the repo for your needs. I doubt it can be done on a mac?? It will build on linux and in windows using mingw or cygwin.
> This is definately not for a beginner LOL.

Trying to build under OSX, lwtools builds just fine, but toolshed barfs on not finding fuse.h. It looks like that can be provided by a MacPorts package called osxfuse, but that buries it under an osxfuse directory and expects that anything using it will find it via pkgconfig. So if I would need to hack Makefiles anyway to build the LRtech drivers, I can probably hack in changes to find osxfuse, too. But maybe it would just be easier to spin up a Linux VM and build it there. Doesn't sound like something I want to do tonight before bedtime.

If I do end up diving down this rabbit hole, maybe I should fork the build/unix dir into a build/osx tree, fix it up for building under osx, and contribute that back upstream? Ok, don't hold your breath because I'm very easily distracted, but maybe I'll accidentally do it. ;)

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/