[Coco] format memory (was) Gotek floppy emulator

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Feb 15 18:50:47 EST 2016

On Monday 15 February 2016 16:57:06 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

> I use 3.3.0 extensively with a large bootfile on Vcc with /d0-/d3, /h0
> (emudsk), /x0-/x8 (yes 8), and /r0 (96k), with CoWin AND CoVDG and
> full DW4 vport/vprint/vterm support as well as pipes. My Coco 3 is the
> same but with EmuDsk being replaced by RBSuper IDE drivers. I can
> format drives with no problem (Coco 3 or VCC), even when I'm running
> other programs in other windows, but if I run the scripts in the
> "nitros9/6x09L2/scripts", format will fail. I actually had to make a
> stripped down boot without all my "extras" to get the scripts to run.
> I think that problem is the scripts load too much in memory at one
> time and even most "normal" bootfiles will not have enough system ram.
> It has nothing to do with "total machine ram" as I run VCC in 6309
> with 2 meg, and my Coco3 has 6809 and 1 meg, it's the system ram (64k)
> that holds the entire system AND a copy of each program (or script)
> loaded. So the real problem is in the size of the bootfile.
>

> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way
> to slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

> Global Moderator for TRS-80/Tandy Color Computer Forums
> http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/
>
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

I cannot format a disk from a fresh reboot. I may hear the drive step 2
to 4 times, but then it stops and I see flickering dashes in the video,
as its crashed.  And it quite often takes several taps on the reset
button if very quick cadence before it will again do a cold boot.  Wash,
rinse and repeat.  And my normal boot has at least 11k of ram free, but
for some reason, is not contiguous, but in 2 pieces. The gap I believe
is the space between the end of the bootfile in memory, and the
beginning of the 8k block with shell & some other utils to mostly fill
an 8k block. The biggest piece has more than enough room for the 6144
byte track buffer.

I am half tempted to go see if I can make format use only the bigger
piece of memory as  my vfy can easily modify that in the executables
header.  If I have any good luck, I'll report back.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)