[Coco] format memory (was) Gotek floppy emulator

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Feb 15 16:57:06 EST 2016

I use 3.3.0 extensively with a large bootfile on Vcc with /d0-/d3, /h0 (emudsk), /x0-/x8 (yes 8), and /r0 (96k), with CoWin AND CoVDG and full DW4 vport/vprint/vterm support as well as pipes. My Coco 3 is the same but with EmuDsk being replaced by RBSuper IDE drivers. I can format drives with no problem (Coco 3 or VCC), even when I'm running other programs in other windows, but if I run the scripts in the "nitros9/6x09L2/scripts", format will fail. I actually had to make a stripped down boot without all my "extras" to get the scripts to run. I think that problem is the scripts load too much in memory at one time and even most "normal" bootfiles will not have enough system ram. It has nothing to do with "total machine ram" as I run VCC in 6309 with 2 meg, and my Coco3 has 6809 and 1 meg, it's the system ram (64k) that holds the entire system AND a copy of each program (or script) loaded. So the real problem is in the size of the bootfile.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com