[Coco] Gotek floppy emulator

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Feb 14 19:21:41 EST 2016

On Sunday 14 February 2016 11:32:03 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

> Frank, I see a problem right off with this unit...
> It uses 1.44meg HD, 512 byte sectors at 500kbps...
> The Coco uses 720k DD, 256 byte sectors...
> There's no mention of being able to set the unit for the older 720k
> drives. IIRC, even on the real drives of that type, you had to modify
> them physically to make them work if they did not have jumpers. I
> doubt this usit could be modified in that way. It's the very reason we
> can't use the real drives on the "newer" computers to read/write coco
> disks. The controller chipset was different for those drives and no
> longer supported 720k or 256 byte sectors. If there's a 720k version
> of this, then GREAT!
>
> Looking a little further on that site, I found this:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3XT1DB1480&cm_re=u
>sb_floppy_drive_emulator-_-9SIA3XT1DB1480-_-Product
>
> It says "72k" but reading the specs, it says "720k" (typo?). This
> seems to be more what's needed :-)
>
> All the rest on NewEgg seem to be 1.44 meg units.

It also says this, so it remains to be tested as to its ability to
write/read a coco/os9 format disk, which is 18 sectors per track, with
256 byte sectors.  FDC's have seemed to have lost that ability, even
this now 8 year old Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo's fdc cannot, locking up
the whole machine if a disk access is attempted after applying the
correct setfdparm command to set it for such a disk. 3.5 or 5.25 drive
on the end of the cable makes no diff, the FDChip is kaput.  Before
drivewire, I was forced to sz a .dsk file to the coco at 4800 baud.

Capacity:720KB 2DD Cylinders:80 Tracks:160 Sectors/Track:9
Bytes/Sector:512 Data
transfer rate:500 kbps Encoding method:MFM.>

The bare DD drive, attached to the coco with a cable adapter CAN do this,
IF you can make the format command work. But format even in the
nitros9-v3.3.0 release, has been a 100% crash and burn for me for
several years.  So my mb scripts have been re-written to clean up an
already formatted DD disk before os9gen is invoked.  This includes
making a directory entry for track 34, and deleting it to clear the FAT,
thereby allowing os9gen to rewrite track 34, otherwise it silently fails
to do so.

Hell of a way to run a train, and one of the reasons I am losing interest
in the coco.

> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way
> to slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

> Global Moderator for TRS-80/Tandy Color Computer Forums
> http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/
>
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)