[Coco] Coco 3 Memory Map Questions

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon Feb 8 01:49:26 EST 2016

Yes, even though the 6809 has internal 16-bit registers it still has to
make two accesses through an 8-bit bus to get it the data for them.  The
16-bit access would only help if the 6809 had a 16-bit data bus.  That
also brings up an interesting question:  For the 6809 implemented in
FPGA by John Kent, I wonder what kind of average speed increase could be
had if your FPGA had 16-bit memory (which the DE1 does) and you designed
some pipelining and a 16-bit data bus for the 6809.  It is in the realm
of possibility to speed up the 6809 even more and still retain full
object code compatibility. Right now the 6809 core with 8-bit data bus
really smokes at 25 MHz.  Imagine what might be possible if a 16-bit
data bus could be designed.

Dave