[Coco] CoCo Flash

Robert Hermanek rhermanek at centurytel.net
Sat Feb 6 19:42:46 EST 2016

I have two cents to contribute...

We all have our own methods and priorities when it comes to our Coco
hobby.  In my case, when I need to connect to massive amounts of
storage, I use the excellent Drivewire and HDB-DOS combo that puts 10
gigs at my coco fingertips.  That pretty much ends any need for more
space :)

When it comes to a cartridge, I like to think of it in the original coco
terms -- a convenient way to quickly load a program that I use often.  I
also like the idea of packaging my own "from scratch" efforts in a
cartridge, something that could never have happened back in the day.

I want to remind everyone that Cloud9 is already offering an excellent
product, you can see it here:

http://www.cloud9tech.com

This came in the mail a few days after ordering.  It comes pre-loaded
with HDB-DOS in one of the four banks, which is handy since that is one
of the applications I like having in cartridge form.  It is fully
documented, comes with software that allows reading/writing to the flash
from the coco, and it was literally plug and play.  I'm still playing!

A lot can happen between prototype and finished product.  Cloud9 takes a
design and dots every "i" and crosses every "t".  The physical cartridge
is professional and well manufactured.  The cloud9 website offers mature
software and documentation for all of their products, including the
cloud9 "miniFlash."  This isn't "vaporware," this is fully supported
hardware that exists today, and it rocks.

If you want a polished and well supported flash based cartridge, I'd
advise checking out the cloud9 link above.

-RobertH