[Coco] Learning assembly for the Color Computer

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Apr 14 13:21:17 EDT 2016

Salvador, first, start with the manuals to the chosen assembler. Each assembler, no matter if its RSDOS, OS9, or cross-assembler, is different and has different capabilities. 6809 assembly is the same across the board (for the most part), the only difference being the operating system calls (RSDOS, OS9, Flex), and external calls to other hardware varying from machine to machine, but the base 6809 instructions will always be the same.

Now for reference books..
By far the easiest book to start with is Barden's assembly book which deals with 6809 in general and Coco exclusively. This is my "goto" book when I have a question.

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Documents/Books/Color%20Computer%20Assembly%20Language%20Programming%20(1983)%20(William%20Barden%20Jr).pdf

For more advanced topics and more Coco hardware coverage for assembly programming, Tepolt's books will do the trick.

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Documents/Books/Assembly%20Language%20Programming%20for%20the%20Color%20Computer%20(1985)%20(Laurence%20A%20Tepolt).pdf

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Documents/Books/Assembly%20Language%20Programming%20for%20the%20CoCo3%20(1987)%20(Laurence%20A%20Tepolt).pdf

Again, each assembler will use the above info in it's own way no matter what platform it runs under. There are plenty of assemblers for RSDOS, OS9, and cross-assemblers for both under Windows, Linux & Mac. Make sure you download your assembler's manual as well :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com