[Coco] Older MPI with CoCo 3

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Mon Sep 28 20:15:23 EDT 2015

Exactly what you need to do will depend on exactly which version of the multipack interface you have and what the part number is. There are three versions that matter:
26-3024 (can be grey or white, usually grey in color)
26-3124 (white)
26-3124A (white)

The 26-3124A does not require any updates and is already compatible with the CoCo 3. I have never actually seen one of these units.
I have a 26-3024 and a 26-3124. I have updated my 26-3124 to work with my CoCo 3 using the method (more or less) described below.

For the 26-3124
http://www.coco3.com/community/2010/05/26-3124-mpi-coco-3-upgrade-1/

After this modification is applied, the M.P.I. data buffer is limited to the address range of $FF40-$FF7F as well as CTS* and SLENB*. All that is needed is a 74LS10 Triple 3-Input NAND, a spot of solder and some Kynar wire-wrap wire. This upgrade performs in an identical fashion to the Tandy MPI upgrade.

For the 26-3024
http://www.reocities.com/idezilla/CoCoZilla/patchmpi.html

This is a patch created by Robin W. Drake that will make the Multipak Interface 26-3024 compatible with the CoCo 3 using the original PAL chip. It does require good soldering skills. You need a 74LS10 IC and Wire Wrap Wire.