[Coco] more that one shell from an external terminal(update)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Sep 18 20:49:25 EDT 2015

On Friday 18 September 2015 20:27:02 George Ramsower wrote:

>   Okay, I found DW4 and it appears to be just the PC side. Is there a
> driver for OS9-L2 somewhere else?
>   This does look interesting.

In the Nitros9 installation tree there are quite a few of the common
utility things that have been rewritten to work with dw, and they will
have a "dw" in their names.  If you do a dump of the descriptor, it will
contain the name of the driver it works with, with the high bit of the
last character set, so the hex value resulting needs to have that high
bit stripped to see the full name.

> George R.
>
> On 9/18/2015 3:05 PM, Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> > George, the DW4 way I described would work for you, but it involves
> > using Drivewire4. You could monitor as many 'shells' as you like
> > from the PC.
> >
> > You could even do this from your startup by creating all the PC
> > terminals every time you boot... Let's say you wanted 2 terminals
> > open running their own shells:
> >
> > -- startup stuff --
> > shell i=/z1&
> > shell i=/z2&
> > -- rest of startup stuff --
> >
> > Using this, as soon as you boot up, 2 terminal windows will appear
> > on your PC in 80x24 text. You can run most any text based
> > application from these windows just as if you are sitting at the
> > Coco (no graphics). Of course, this is using DW4, but it's also
> > faster than a regular serial port connection as it's running 115kb!
> >
> >  From these windows, you can even mount DSKs and VHDs directly into
> > DW4 without bringing up the DW4 server GUI, but that's another story
> > for another time :-) DW4 offers all you are asking and much more. A
> > lot of people don't use DW4 because they don't want their Coco
> > 'tethered' to a PC, but you're doing that anyway, so why not DW4?
> > And all it takes is a modified serial cable which you'll be running
> > for the serial connection anyway.
> >
> > If what you are trying to do is monitor your external Coco
> > experiments, this would be perfect for that! Any text based cmd can
> > be run from these windows.. even TSEdit. I think there's a list on
> > the DW4 wiki of what control codes it supports, if not, I'm sure
> > Aaron could tell you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)