[Coco] A nostalgic Coco BBS message

Kandur k at qdv.pw
Thu Sep 10 16:29:18 EDT 2015

Bill,
do you remember of the sealed envelop, that came with your brand new Coco in the 80's?
It contained a User ID Number and a Password, with an introductory usage credit of $15 that let you use the Free Practice Forum?
See the short lines, suitable for the 40 column Coco!
CompuServe Information Service
 14:30 PDT Saturday 23-Sep-89

     Copyright (c) 1989
   CompuServe Incorporated
     All Rights Reserved

CONNECT RATES (per connect hour)

           Prime/      Standard/
           Daytime     Evening
 BAUD      $/Hour      $/Hour
 -------------------------------
 up to 300 $6.00      $ 6.00
 450*      $6.00      $ 6.00
 1200      $12.50      $12.50
 2400*     $12.50      $12.50
 4800**    $32.50      $29.00
 9600**    $47.50      $44.00

 * Not available from all locations
 ** Requires hardwired network connection
and is not available from all locations.

COMMUNICATIONS SURCHARGES
 (per connect hour)
 1 CompuServe Network
 2 Telenet
 3 TYMNET
 4 DataPac
 5 Computer Sciences Corporation
 6 LATA Networks

Your User ID Number is:
73040,1213
Please write your User ID Number down
Press <CR> for more !
Your Confidential Password is:
POSSUM.DRILL
Please write your Password down
Press <CR> for more !
Please verify that you have
copied the User ID number and
password down correctly by
entering them at the following
prompts.
User ID Number: 73040,1213
Password: ****************
That is correct. Please store
your User ID number and password
in separate and secure
locations. You are responsible
for all usage made under this
newly created User ID number.
As part of processing your
member registration, we are
creating a new password to be
effective on a future date.
(Your User ID number will remain
the same and will not be mailed
to you). The new password and
its effective date will be
mailed to you at the address you
entered. Until you receive this
Press <CR> for more !
second password and it is in
effect, you will be subject to
our account limitations for new members.

You may now log on the Service
and begin using your
introductory usage credit of $15.
At the next User ID number and
password prompts, enter the new
permanent User ID number and
temporary password which you
have just obtained. Note that
your password does not print out
Press <CR> for more !
as you enter it - this is a
security precaution for your
protection.
User ID: 73040,1213
Password: **************
CompuServe Information Service
 14:30 PDT Saturday 23-Sep-89
     Copyright (c) 1989
   CompuServe Incorporated
     All Rights Reserved
Thank you for becoming a member of CompuServe.
CompuServe (FREE) TOUR
Press <CR> !
     Mike Schoenbach
     (Primary Sysop)