[Coco] Hard drive formatting

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Sep 7 14:33:47 EDT 2015

George, what kind of controller are you using and what OS? (OS9 or NitrOS9)

Most of the SCSI controllers have NitrOS9 drivers and the TC^3 manual should be informative on formatting using the NOS9 "SuperDriver".

rbsuper.dr
   lltc3.dr
     dds0_tc3.dd
     s0_tc3.dd - s6_tc3.dd
     sh_tc3.dd

The "lltc3.dr" can also be built for "LR Tech", "Kenton", "Disto 4n1", and "Disto II" SCSI controllers.

I used the "SuperDriver" from the SuperIDE for my Glenside IDE controller and had it up and running in no time with 2x4gig partitions! One of these days I'll write a wiki on doing this :-)

rbsuper.dr
   llide.dr
     ddi0_ide.dd
     i0_ide.dd -i1_ide.dd
     ih_ide.dd

As you can see above, the "rbsuper.dr" is a "general purpose" driver. The "llxxx.dr" sub-driver determines whether you use SCSI or IDE, then of course, the descriptors.

The descriptors will have to be set manually according to your drive (and it's different for OS9, NitrOS9 only). Once the descriptors are set, "format" will properly format your drive to your specification (in the TC^3 manual). Also, I think there's a way to set the descriptor so it "auto-recognizes" the drive size, not sure but it will be in the TC^3 manual.

You can get the TC^3 manual form:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mmarlette/Cloud-9/Support/SuperIDE%20User%20Manual.pdf

and
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mmarlette/Cloud-9/Support/SuperDriver%20FAQ.html