[Coco] Disk Controllers for the Dragon...

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 27 01:41:21 EDT 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: tim lindner
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:07 AM
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [Coco] Disk Controllers for the Dragon...

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Steve Ostrom <smostrom7 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I am in another category of floppy users entirely, who have thousands of
> floppy disks I'm trying desperately to save to DSK files.  I need to
> maintain my floppy drives.  Eventually I hope to go with the CocoSDC only,
> but until then, I'm a 99% floppy user.

http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/3191

tim lindner

That was pretty funny reading, Tim.  Thanks for sharing !!!  He wrote that
post over four years ago.  He mentions that doing these transfers for people
has become his fulltime job, but never mentions any costs.  I suppose I'm
even more of a dinosaur than anyone else he even imagined.

Actually these floppies are not of my making.  For years I've been
collecting floppies from friends (including a nice big box from Mark
Marlette) and from eBay whenever anyone had Coco floppies for sale.  I have
seen some real gems come through.

A few years ago, Boisy helped me to transfer the first 30 or so SCSI hard
drives worth of floppies onto CDs.  For that I am eternally grateful.
Recently, Guillaume Major helped me to convert Boisy's transfer of the raw
data to DSK files.  These are now preserved.

I still have more than a thousand disks to look at and to transfer.  This
will be much easier using the CocoSDC.  I do have about 5 SCSI hard drive
cartridges that have not been backed up to DSK files, and I'll probably have
to transfer these back to floppy and then to the CocoSDC, unless you Coco
gurus have a suggestion on how to transfer directly from SCSI HD to CocoSDC
without the floppy intermediate step.

--- Steve ---