[Coco] An FPGA GIME project, and CoCo FPGA Experimenter's Board

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 16:13:07 EDT 2015

A little bit of my planning for the board...

So far for features to be included on the board I have…

Fully implemented bi-directional interface to the CoCo through the cartridge slot,
		with FPGA control of level-shifter ICs where useful
	- 42 pins

VGA output, 3 bits per channel resistor DAC
	- 11 I/O pins

RS232 I/O via Maxim 3238 serial transceiver
	- 9 I/O pins

Stereo Sound out jack - 2 channel PWM
	- 2 I/O pins

ADC input - ADC128S022CIMTX (Texas Instruments)
	- 4 I/O pins

SDRAM (32MB)
	- 39 I/Opins

2x 16-bit shifters (32 pins) + shifter controls (8 pins)
		(for TTL level inputs or LVTTL outputs)
	- 40 I/O pins

~25 pins left - (will likely end up being unshifted general I/O)

A few ideas I’ve had include…

Implementing a hardware sound function via PWM, that as has been suggested before,
would allow for sampled sounds to be played on cue from the CPU without tying it up for actual
sound generation.  Basically you'd upload your sounds to the hardware sound system when

Implementing a WordPak style interface allowing for an 80 column or greater text output
on a second display (VGA) for text-intensive things.  Of course there’s the possibility of
implementing graphics modes as well.

It was suggested by Camillus to use a layout for some of the I/O headers that will be compatible
with Arduino style shields.  I think this is a good idea, and I’ll try to do that.

I realize a project like this will probably only be of interest to a few people other than myself,
but I think it may be an important one as it could lead to a few different hardware options for
the CoCo.  At the very least it should be an excellent learning tool for interfacing FPGAs
to an 8-bit microcomputer.   :)

So I’ve put a page here I’ll post updates to for those interested…
<https://sites.google.com/site/thezippsterzone/coco-fpga-experimenter-s-board <https://sites.google.com/site/thezippsterzone/coco-fpga-experimenter-s-board>>

- Ed