[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 155, Issue 42

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 17 23:10:56 EDT 2015

I get what you guys are saying, but gating the SCS by way of the E-Clock would add complexity to the PCB when it's already crammed.  So far my Atmega is telling me that the SCS is not misbehaving at startup.  Many ROM's, even after loaded, don't even trigger a single hit from the SCS.  It's only some programs that are.  My needs for the SCS are very limited and very specific, enough that all the other E-Clock related stuff shouldn't be an issue.   If I can boot the CoCo, have the assembly read in the .BIN data, then ignore all future SCS signals (if any), I'm good.  The only thing that I can think of at this point that would throw a wrench in it would be if some odd .BIN file attempted to write data to the address range that trips the SCS..  I can't imagine why using LOADM on a .BIN would do this (excluding the obvious disk controller access of LOADM of course), or even a CLOADM of a .BIN.  Once  the Power-UP/RESET has been done, the .BIN loaded and executed, the controller will care less what the SCS does until the user activates another EEPROM bank that is also a .BIN and repeats the process from the beginning.

Again, I understand what you guys are saying, but I'm just not seeing this behavior during the specific situation that I will care about the behavior of the SCS.   I'm sure I would have no choice but to deal with the E-Clock if I was performing page loads or such communication between the CoCo and the microcontroller, but that's not what's happening here.  The assembly loader is loading data in from the &HC000 ROM space, not through some &HFF40+ vectors.   The &HFF40 is only read by the assembly at the end of each 8K segment in order to trip the SCS and signal the controller to switch to the next 8K page for the &HC000 ROM space.

- Chad H
http://sites.google.com/site/cbhlab101/