[Coco] Just another peek...

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Oct 9 18:07:16 EDT 2015

Dave, Not owning an FPGA (or SD card reader), so my knowledge would VERY limited to what I know of how a standard system works, but I think enlarging the "boot track" would involve modifying DECB... more than modifying OS9 (almost).
The DOS cmd loads the entire contents of track 34 (18 sectors) to $2600 then executes it. So the limit is in the DOS cmd.

Also, enlarging the kernel, would entail modifying all the various locations of modules (and addresses pointing to them) as that would move everything else up in memory as well. Then you run into the whole "crossing 256 byte & 8k boundries" thing.

Of course, making it single pass would involve a whole new boot techniqe as the kernel's first job is locating the rest of the bootfile (OS9Boot) and loading it into memory. Yes, it could probably be done, but it would take heavy modification to the kernel files (rel, boot, krn). Brett Gordon was working on something similar with his CocoBoot, you may want to look into that.

One thought; though I have no clue how the FPGA & SD are set up and how you are currently booting; would be to make a "standard" boot disk which contain nothing but the kernel. Then once it loads, it looks to the larger partition for the OS9Boot. This way RSDOS sees a standard sized disk and boot track...

I assume the whole problem though, lies in getting the SD card routines that load the boot, into the kernel and staying the porper size (18 sectors). That's beyond my knowledge.

As I said, I have no idea how FPGA boots OS9 as I don't own one (yet), so it's hard to say how such a thing would be done.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com