[Coco] Orchestra90cc files from Da Barn Studios web

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 10:06:55 EDT 2015

Pere, a lot of those Orch90 files were created on other systems (non-coco - orch80, orch85 ect) and were never converted to the Coco Orch90 format. I had intended to convert them but never got back to that project.
On the other hand, Guillaume Major over at The Color Computer Archives has basically the same file list and I'm pretty sure he told me he had converted them.

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Orchestra-90/!orc/

The other files in the upper dirs of the Orchestra90 folder are the "unconverted" versions.

I never used the converter program, so I really don't know how well it worked (apparently Guillaume got it to work), but the "Orch.bin" program ran fine for me when I was using it. I seem to remember it being a little flakey, but it worked. I also used it on my real Coco as well as XRoar and VCC. In XRoar, once you get the files loading properly, you may need to play around with XRoar's sound settings to get them to sound right as it get's picky about sound on different machines and OS's.
I ended up with a real Orch90, plus, VCC comes with an emulation of the Orch90, so I never went back to those files much.
As a note, I'm pretty sure that none of those files will play on the real Orch90 as they need to be converted further. I know the filename extension would have to be removed as (real) Orch90 does not have extensions and it seems that there's something else that has to be done to get them into an Orch90 (CR stripped?)... not sure. It's been a while since I played with those files.
Also, in the wimgtool, make sure you transfer the files as "ASCII" even though they seem to be bin files. Orch90 files are plain ascii text with the first char of each line have $80 added to it (no CR)... the orch90.bin (i.e. xxx.orc) files are straight ascii with carriage returns at the end of the lines (if I remember right)... orch.bin may load both types... been a long time :-)

But the files I linked above "should" work with the "orch.bin" program. Maybe it's time I updated mine :-)
The documentation is in "man" format which has embedded printer codes and was actually meant to be printed. I don't think I ever cleaned up a copy for regular text. The files on my site are basically copies of what was on the RTSI site which originated from Delphi downloads.

I also remember "D" is for directory... to load a file try:
R XXX.ORC :X
The before playing you must "score" the file by entering "S" alone, the "P" to play. Once a file is "scored" it can be played multiple times without scoring again unless you edit the file. Then it must be scored again.

 Another good site for Orch90 info is:
http://www.trs-80.com/wordpress/orch80/

Personally, I prefer the Orch90 cart in VCC to using XRoar (the sound is better)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com