[Coco] [Codo] OS9Gen question

George Ramsower georgera at gvtc.com
Sun Oct 4 18:43:20 EDT 2015

On 10/4/2015 1:56 PM, Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> George, using 'merge' will create a valid bootfile, but it will not be bootablem nor will a kernel (track 34) be created. OS9Gen also sets the value in LSN0 to point to the location of OS9Boot. The kernel, uses this value to locate the OS9boot and load it. You can actually manually edit LSN0 to point to the OS9Boot, but you have to know where on the drive it's located.
> OS9Gen should be on any orignal Tandy system disk you may (or may not) have. Also, I'm pretty sure the OS9Gen in the NitrOS9 repo can be used with vannilla OS9 (?).
> You can also use 'cobbler' to make a boot from your current (in memory) boot and then use EZGen or KwikGen to add/remove modules (my preferred method). It's quick and easy.
> Both are available on the "My Favorite OS9 Utils" disk image on my website, though I know you're not using DW4 so therefore making it hard for you to transfer files from the PC much less a disk image. This limits greatly how much we can help you as we can't even send you files.
  It would take quite an effort to include old posts I have made so far,
so I'll just reply with my basic situation.
  My HD on the Coco died and danged near everything I was using is on
this PC as a backup. However, currently I cannot access this "puter"
until I can build a boot that will have what I need to do this. If I
"load" the files to get my coco to have the communications to access
this PC, then I've used up the memory to be able to use it.
  I'll think on this some more.
  I KNOW it can be done! I just have to "brain work" on this a bit more.
THAT part is not so easy for me.
   I'll have to search my disks again for EZGen. I don't recall having
that. I'll also attempt to get that danged coco to work again with this
PC. I can modify the device driver so I can attempt to find the port
that still works.
  My home made three port com port has(IIRC) has two of them dead. Once
I find the remaining working one, then I can start to get the
communications between this PC and the coco.
  I do have EVERYTHING that used to be on the Coco's hard drive on this
PC but for the moment, no access to that. There is no emergency here,
just trying to get the com. between this PC and the Coco working again,
without the proper software to do this..... or so it seems right now.
I'll keep plugging at it. I know it will get done! I just have some
trouble fingering it out for the moment.
  This is a good time for me to learn what goes on from the time  I type
"dos" in Basic to get this to work.
  Thanks for the pointers.

George R.