[Coco] [Codo] OS9Gen question

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Oct 4 17:43:48 EDT 2015

George Ramsower wrote:
>   Microware OS9 Level 2, Coco 3 512k. A real CC3
>
>   I dug around through all my floppies and have not found OS9Gen.
> However, I do want to build a new boot file for installing onto another
> disk.
>   Is OS9Gen really necessary or can I use "Merge" to merge the needed
> files onto a blank disk. I figured to ask before I try this but I might
> try it anyway just to see if it will work.
>
>   Thanks
>
> George R.

George,

Look in the CMDS directory of the "OS-9 Level Two Operating System -
System Master" 26-3031. Os9gen is present along with Cobbler.

While it is possible to take a bootable disk, replace the OS9Boot file,
and still boot from that disk, it takes extra work. You would need the
raw disk editor dEd to change data in LSN0 to indicate the location and
size of the new OS9Boot file. OS9Boot must not be fragmented!
I've found that in some instances, it is convenient to generate a fresh
boot disk and with dEd change the allocation map in LSN1 to mark as used
a block of sectors immediately after the location of OS9Boot. Since
OS9Boot will be at the beginning of the disk and OS-9 replaces files
starting with the first available sectors, I can delete an old OS9Boot
and save a new one without getting fragmentation on a fully stocked
disk. LSN0 still need to be adjusted for OS9Boot size with dEd.

Robert