[Coco] OT: MS shenanigans, XP, Win10...

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 16:10:08 EDT 2015

Getting a new(er) computer is my goal. At this time I have no funds for it,
but when I do I want at least a duo-core computer and I may even do away
with Windows. XP is the only version of Windows I have ever found
acceptable. Vista is a piece of junk, and 7 and 8 (from what I have seen)
are not much better. I imagine 10 is following along the same path. I am
thinking about Linux, but am so far removed from a command line that the
CoCo is all the command line I need, and I'm even going to set up Multi-Vue
when I get back to the CoCo. Until I have my financial situation remedied,
I am basically not doing anything computer-related other than keeping up
with this list and checking email. Everything else I do is related to
working at getting a suitable income coming in.

This laptop is a 2 GHz AMD Sempron and it runs as slow (on a good day) as
my 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 (the mini tower). Both are Dells. The mini-tower is a
OptiPlex 240. This laptop is a Vostro 1000. I am not saying that the AMD
has anything to do with the problems this laptop has, but it is the first
non-Intel Windows machine I have had, and the issues I deal with are enough
for me to never want anything but a genuine Intel processor ever again. The
only two new computers I ever had were my CoCo3 (bought new in 1989) and a
Mac Quadra 605 (bought new in 1994.) The Mac I was happy with, even though
it was not top of the line, and was obsolete when they made it because the
PowerMac was introduced at the same time. I have no experience with MacOSX
and very little with Linux, but feel that either of them are better than
Windows.