[Coco] How to import source code into NitrOS-9?

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Sat Oct 3 20:58:49 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Pereira" <spereira1952 at comcast.net>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2015 4:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] How to import source code into NitrOS-9?

>> I use the drivewire list command to move source files from my PC to the
>> CoCo.
>>
>> All my CoCo stuff is on the E drive of my drivewire PC in a directory
>> called CoCo.
>>
>> I use the following to copy a source file from my drivewire PC to my CoCo
>> 3:
>>
>> dw server list e:\coco\filename.asm >filename.asm
>>
>> That copies the file named filename.asm from the PC to a file named
>> filename.asm in the working directory of the Coco.
>>
>> Very quick and easy.
>>

> Hi K. Pruitt,
>
> Thank you very much for this information.
>
> I am a complete newbie on Drivewire, save inserting .dsk images into
> Drivewire slots, and then using the disks on my attached CoCo 3.
>
> I get that you have your files all in e:\coco
>
> So, where would I type the command:  dw server list e:\coco\filename.asm ?
> I am assuming you type it on your PC somewhere, probably in the Drivewire
> application.  Can you please tell me where one types commands like this?
>
> Also, you say the file gets copied into the working directory of the CoCo.
> Let’s say that all I have is a NitrOS-9 boot disk in drive 0, and it shows
> up on my CoCo as /DD:.  I think that you mean the file would be copied
> onto the NitrOS-9 boot disk, and it would then show up when I issue the
> DIR command at the /DD: prompt.  Right?
>
> Thanks very much, in advance, for your patience with me.
>
> smp
> --
> Stephen M. Pereira
> Bedford, NH  03110
> KB1SXE

Hi Stephen.

The DW commands are issued from the NitrOS-9 command prompt on the CoCo. The
dw commands themselves are located in the CMDS directory of your NitroOS-9
disk.

The working directory is just whatever directory you currently have set as
the working directory. You can send the file to any directory you want.  The
way I showed is just the shortest way as it just copied the file to the
directory I was in when issuing the command. You can just ignore the entire
mention of the default directory.

Let's say you have a directory called SOURCE on the coco on drive /D1, and
you wanted to copy a file from a directory called C:\Source on your PC to
that directory.

You would type:

dw server list c:\source\filename.asm >/d1/source/filename.asm

Everything before the > and after the list command is the source path,
everything after the > is the destination path.

But if I typed:

dw server list c:\source\filename.asm >filename.asm

it would copy the file from the PC to whatever directory I happened to be in
on the CoCo when I typed the command as I am not providing a pathname to a
different destination drive and directory.

Hopefully this help clarify it a little bit.