[Coco] VCC 2.0.1b Released (New Thread)

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Oct 3 18:36:31 EDT 2015

James, the whole problem from the beginning is that VS6 uses APIs that are (one-by-one) disappearing from the newer OS's and eventually losing support altogether. If we contimue to build VCC on VS6, we eventually become the "next" emulator that has to be run on ONLY older machines or in VM using older OS's, much like Jeff's Emu or David Keil's.
The idea was/is to move VCC forward, not backward, before it becomes as obsolete as the others.

Moving to any other "older developement platform (VS2005, 2010, etc)" will still eventually lead to the above as well as they are slowly losing support from MS as well.
My VS6 install already gives me warnings in Win Vista that it
"may not run" and even stronger wanings in Win 8. So how long will this last? The same goes for VCC built from VS6... how long before you see (This application requires an older version of MS Windows and will not run on this system".

I have thought of keeping 2 separate builds of both old and new, but your talking about a lot of work and no one volunteering to help do it.

The original idea was to move the VCC sources to a "cross-platform" environment so it could be compiled to run on Windows, Mac, & Linux. I had people who said they could do it (given the sources) but now that it's open source, they are not stepping up. If this could be done, the whole MS VS versioning crap would go away. The biggest challenge in this is moving the MS DirectX portion of the code to something like OpenGL or SDL. Anyone?

As for Joseph Forgeone, he actually set up the whole project and posted the first 2015 conversion sources (converted by Gary Coulburn), but once again has seemed to disappear, but I have a feeling he'll pop back up eventually. He seems to come and go.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com