[Coco] Program to read text files

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Oct 2 10:39:38 EDT 2015

On Friday 02 October 2015 08:50:00 Mathieu Chouinard wrote:

> Is there something like "vi" ?
> I don't feel like learning another editor :)

There is a patch extant that turns ts-edit into a vi that almost works
like vi,  but today, the /vN descriptors have usurped that name, so I
had to rename it to "vim" both in the directory, and internally to
remove the name clash in nitros9.  Its a decent editor, and as it fits
in an 8k block, it can open and edit a file up to 56k in total size.  No
other editor we have by any name can touch that.

DynaStar can do larger files, but its work buffer is only about 10k and
can only cycle forward thru the file, not backwards.

So using it where you need to frequently go back and trim the programs
setup preamble is a major session in disk thrashing as you have to exit
that big file by loading the buffer and re-writing until the EOF has
been reached and it can be closed.  Then you reload the top of the file
to make the next edit there.  Wash, rinse, dry well, and repeat turns
into a PITA tinme sink eventually.

"vim" is the only editor I've used on the coco for at least 15 years now,
it Just Works(TM).  Unforch, its vertical tab screen controls are not
recognized in one of the green screens drivewire can open on my linux
screen.  Because of that, any editing I do on the coco MUST be done from
the coco's own screen and keyboard.

> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Brett Gordon <beretta42 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Also, isn't Luis's "MinTED" screen editor part of standard Nitros9
> > distrib now?
> >
> > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.tandy.coco/68869
> >

> > --
> > Brett M. Gordon,
> > beretta42 at gmail.com
> >
> > --

> A te quaeso, sicut in Aeneidos libro quarto Aeneas, elocutus
> desiderium erigendi suum obeliscum in templo Venereo Didonis, ab ea
> quaesivit, tuae domi an meae?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)