[Coco] OS9/NITROS Primer

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Oct 1 15:11:23 EDT 2015

Richard E. Crislip wrote:
> <snip>
> Thanks Robert. I have a NITROS dsk on my SDC and was looking
> at that very directory until I made the fatal error of trying to
> list BootOS9. Reset was necessary 8-).
<snip>

Richard,

You can't list OS9Boot as that is a number of merged OS-9 modules. What
you can do to see what is present is:
ident OS9Boot
The command ident will indicate the names and some data on any
executable file or merged files.

As has already been suggested, you need to customize your OS-9/NitrOS-9
as you want. For some reason, NitrOS-9 disks have page pause turned off
so listings scroll by rapidly. If you prefer this, you can hit the two
keys CTRL+W to pause the listing at will. Personally I want pause to be on.
The command tmode used by itself will display all of the current
settings for the window in use. Since the terms used with this command
have been changed from the original OS-9 values, it makes sense to
tmode
at least once to learn which parameter names are in use with your
running version of the system. The pausing parameter used to be pause or
-pause with OS-9. With NitrOS-9, you now use pau=0 (OFF) pau=1 (ON).

Unfortunately the only program on the nightly build disks for reading
text files is Edit. You should consider obtaining vu (for reading) and
scred (for editing) text files. For machine language programs, you can
use dEd which is supplied on the nightly builds.
You will see other programs suggested for text editing that are also
good. These programs used to be easily found at
ftp://www.rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09/
but I could not the last time I looked.

Robert