[Coco] OS9/NITROS Primer

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Oct 1 00:06:42 EDT 2015

Richard E. Crislip wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As you all know, I've been a hanger on for quite a while now. All this
> time I have devoted myself to the "Dark Side", I.E. MicroSoft Active
> Directory, teaching it that is. I am now retired and no longer need to
> devote my day and nights studying and preparing that. I am not knocking
> it, it has payed my bills, thank you Uncle Bill. The down side is I know
> how to run apps on OS/Nitros9, but I DO NOT know how to do the most
> basic thing such as make a boot disk. So my question is, should I read
> the RS OS9 manual or is there something better for me to study? Way
> back a long long time ago in a far far away galaxy, I ran cobbler, but
> if you put a gun to my head, I couldn't tell you why or what I
> accomplished. So where do I start reading first? TIA

Richard,

For a practical example of boot disk creation, you could download one of
the system disks from
http://nitros9.sourceforge.net/latest/
and look at the directories NITROS9/6x09Lx/SCRIPTS and
NITROS9/6x09Lx/BOOTLISTS where x indicates the cpu 6309, 6809 and Level1
or Level2.
There are text files in both directories which can be used to create
boot disks. The files are intended to be modified as needed by users to
create custom boot disks. This will give you specific examples of the
creation process and you can then go on to reading either the OS-9
owner's manual or other books on OS-9 for general discussions of the
process.

Robert