[Coco] OT: Upgrade to WIndows 10?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Sun Nov 29 23:12:05 EST 2015

Sorry, I was seeing the desktop version, but it was so unfamiliarly
configured, I didn't recognize it.  Still don't know how to recover my
bookmarks, though.

I used File History frequently to save backups of everything to my external
HD, but when I boot it up and select Restore Personal Files, it says No
File History Was Found.

I'll have to look into how to revert to the previous Windows 8.1 setup.
Anybody know if that prevents you from a second try at upgrading to Windows
10?

I use a certain amount of legacy software, so some problems may be Windows
10 deciding to just delete stuff it doesn't like, or renaming an executable
file to a folder with a name ending in .exe.

Art

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 10:45 PM, Steve Ostrom <smostrom7 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> [...]
> its new browser.  I did not need to go outside Windows 10 to find it.  Have
> you looked into returning the computer to like it was?
>
> Geez.  I feel really bad that I was one of those that convinced you to go
> for it.  You should have had no problem.  I assume you still had plenty of
> free HD memory?  I did hear of upgrades taking days if you have limited
> memory, but they did work, just took forever.  Your issues sound like a
> corruption problem.  Why can't these things be simple?
>
> --- Steve ---
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Arthur Flexser
> Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2015 9:32 PM
>
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
> Subject: Re: [Coco] OT: Upgrade to WIndows 10?
>
> The machine came with Windows 8, and become Win8.1 via updates.
>
> I want to be able to run the desktop version of IE, not the app version.  I
> can click on iexplore.exe, but I get the app version and no bookmarks.
>
> Art
>
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Steve Ostrom <smostrom7 at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> Art, it sounds like a horror movie.  Something went terribly wrong.  Have
>> you tried to call Microsoft yet?
>>
>> In summary, it took my upgrade from 8.1 to 10 three hours.  One hour of
>> downloading before the first reboot.  Then two more hours and several
>> reboots.  My Win 10 home screen came up exactly like it was on Win 8.1
>> (all
>> application icons were there and in the exact same locations), except for
>> two items.  IE was no longer there (searched for it and pinned it to the
>> task bar), and the addition of some search engine called Cortana.  I think
>> if I had a mic attached to my PC, then Cortana would listen to my verbal
>> commands, but I don't.  Bottom line, everything worked great.  I can't
>> imagine what got screwed up for your installation.
>>
>> Was the timing similar for you?  Did you see any warnings along the way?
>> Did you need to interact at all until the installation was complete?  I
>> think there is a reverse function to restore your PC just like it was
>> before the upgrade.  You might want to look into that, because something
>> horribly wrong happened for you.  In fact, most of the people I talked to
>> seem to think MS had solved almost all of the terrible installs.  A few
>> months ago, one friend saw one of his computers start an infinite looping
>> of reboots. He said that was fixed a few weeks later with his second
>> computer.
>>
>> Makes me think that there is something oddly unique about your PC that the
>> Windows upgrade didn't anticipate.  Maybe a brief power failure?  How new
>> is it?  Was Win 8.1 native, or had it been upgraded from an earlier
>> Windows? I'm just throwing out some ideas, but I don't know how to solve
>> the problem if any of these happened.  But maybe MS would know what
>> happened.
>>
>> Yikes!!  Look into that uninstall option, and give MS a call.

>>> switches.  I suppose they put them there in order to see how folks use