[Coco] Drivewire issues

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Nov 22 11:22:49 EST 2015

 What version/disk are you using for NitrOS9?
The "dw" cmd error would be the virtual port drivers missing... hence the error "Module Not Found". These are "scdwv", "/N", "/N1 - /N13", & (optional) "/MIDI". Of the "/N1 - /N13", only a couple of these are actually needed (say /N1, /N2), unless you are planning on having several ports open at the same time. Use "mdir" to check for these drivers/descriptors.

The "/X0" error sounds like a baud rate error (or at least a communication error).. Did you by any chance change the default baud rate in the DW4 config setup? The defaults that come up on the config setup is what you should be using... the only thing you should change other than your machine type, is the Serial Port option which should be set for your PC's Serial Port in which your DW4 cable is connected. Nothing should be changed in Nitros9 if you have all the proper drivers.

One other thing that has popped up with several users... Your PC's OS and the version of Java you use. With most recent machines, you should be using the latest version of Java, with some older machines and older OS's, some people have had to drop back to older Java versions. This really seems to vary from machine to machine and OS to OS (Win, Mac, Linux all included).
Also, if you are using a "USB-2-DB9" adapter, some have found that "offbrand" cheap Chinese models "may" give some problems. Mine seems to go to sleep every-so-often and I have to unplug and replug the adapter occassionally to regain connection. I could turn this feature (sleep when inactive) off in the older driver I was using for this adapter, but the latest driver I installed won't let me and I can't find a copy of the older driver I was using.

Those are most of the "common" problems that people have run across... I hope this info may help.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com