[Coco] OT: Upgrade to WIndows 10?

Michael Graham mkgraham at gmx.com
Sat Nov 21 11:42:32 EST 2015

I've been using Windows 10 since the day it came out, and there's really
very little I dislike about it, but there are a few major things to
consider.

First, be aware that data collection is enabled by default.  I don't
think they're selling your usage statistics to advertisers, I think
rather that it's being used internally to provide background for updates
and patches, but I haven't read the full EULA so I couldn't say for
sure.  But that's kind of a fact of life anymore, and I stopped letting
it bother me after I got an Android phone (I'm pretty sure Google knows
practically everything about me by now).

Second, updates are forced.  If you don't take action to turn off
automatic restarts, your computer will reboot in the middle of whatever
you were doing if you happen to step away for however long it takes to
ask you if you want to reschedule.  An extension of this that really
bothers me is that when you turn off automatic restarts, Windows has a
tendency to wake up your computer (if it was in sleep instead of off) in
the middle of the night to ask you when to schedule the restart.  It
will do this even if you disable wake timers.  I'm sure if I hadn't
disabled automatic restarts it would be attempting to wake the computer
from sleep to perform the restart instead of just asking me when to
schedule the restart.

And a third thing is that updates are apparently peer-to-peer shared, so
your computer will upload updates in addition to downloading them, in a
torrent-like system.  I haven't run into any problems caused by this
personally, but I've heard stories about people who are heavy internet
users otherwise running into their providers' data caps because of
this.  I think there's supposed to be a setting to turn it off, but I
haven't bothered to look for it.

--Michael