[Coco] 3d printed EPROM cartridge housings

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Nov 8 17:22:56 EST 2015

On 11/08/2015 02:51 PM, Chad H wrote:
> ...  If I'm not mistaken Mark's boards were done in a commercial program, but you used 'OpenSCAD'.  It appears to rely on a bunch of code to do the models, or atleast from the screen shots it appears that way.  How easy is that to use?
If you have absolutely no programming experience it would probably be
quite a stretch.  I have a bit of hobbyist-level experience with C and
Perl and the like, but was still a bit intimidated by the idea of trying
to do CAD by code before I actually tried it.  But my experience was
that it was much easier to pick up than I had feared it might be, and
some things are distinctly easier to do this way than with the GUI CAD
and 3D modeling programs I've dabbled in. Because you're usually trying
to specify shapes with exact dimensions, it's easier just to type those
numbers in than to drag a shape and then have to guess it's about the
right size, find some measuring tool and see what size it is, or go
ahead and type dimensions into some field in the GUI anyway.

OpenSCAD really makes you wish your 3D printer was as accurate as what
you can specify in the program.  I often find myself programming in a
fudge factor as a constant that I can adjust after I do my first test
print, at least for parts that need to fit together precisely.  But
that's very easy to do in this program because you specify every
dimension.  You can probably do this with the AutoDesk software.
Personally, I lean pretty heavily toward Open Source, and my budget is
very low in any case.  But I've come to really like OpenSCAD, and it
didn't take me long to feel pretty comfortable with it.  It was well
worth the time I put into learning it.

I wouldn't mind getting up to speed with Blender as well, though the few
times I've played with it it seemed a little hard to get the hang of.

> Also, it would be nice to be able to import and edit .STL files.  Google Sketchup cannot do this it seems.  Fortunately AutoDesk 123 3D can.
I believe it can import .STL files, but you might want to double-check
that, and I'm not sure you can do anything with them after importing
them beyond scaling them and sticking things onto them or subtracting
shapes from them.  In other words, don't expect it to break them down
into the kind of shape primitives you would otherwise work with in
OpenSCAD, of course.  I know I have imported 2D DXF files and used them
to extrude 3D shapes.  That way I could draw shapes in Inkscape, export
them as DXF, and then bring them into OpenSCAD.  The process was a bit
finicky, but I got it to work.
> My intention is to start with a good solid layout for standard EPROM type cartridge housings then do cutout modifications for my externally controlled EEPROM boards.

Modules are very easy to make in OpenSCAD.  So once you define a shape,
you can reuse it as many times as you like, making stuff like the grippy
ridges I put on the sides to pull the cartridge out easy.  And of course
since you're just working with text, you can copy modules and paste them
in another design.  A module might be a cutout for a toggle switch or
pot or DIP switch or LED.  Once you've designed it, you can reuse it
wherever you want.  If it's a cutout, you just do a difference between
the object you are cutting and the cutout.
> Also, in the future, I still intend to clone one of the FD-50x FDC controllers, with upgraded support for 16K ROM's and bank switch capability built right in.  I will probably do a custom 3D print enclosure for these as well.
It's really fun stuff, isn't it?

JCE