[Coco] Sdc question

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Tue May 26 04:39:09 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry Nelson"
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2015 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Sdc question

>I have my command ALMOST working. Here is the help output.
>
> {N2|04}/DD/SOURCES/SDC:sdc
> Usage: sdc /sd0|/sd1 [-|SDC command]
>
> The SDC commands are string formated as follows:
>
> "-"           - list mounted images
> "M:filename"  - mount an image
> "N:filename"  - create an image
> "D:dirname"   - change directory
> "L:dirname"   - print directory
> "K:dirname"   - make a directory
> "X:name"      - delete a file or directory
>
> The SDC also supports a Rename command (R:), however this command is NOT
> supported at this time.
> ERROR #001
>
> {N2|04}/DD/SOURCES/SDC:
>
> The problem I have is I tried to use the getstt method of communicating
> with the sdc. It ALMOST works, the only problem I currently have is if
> there is no sdc disk mounted in either sd0 or sd1 I get an error 246. I am
> opening /sd0@ or /sd1 at . Does anyone know how I can open the device if
> there is no disk in it?
>
> To answer your question, I tested the command
> sdc /sd0 X:TEMP.DSK
> and it deleted the disk image file TEMP.DSK.
>
> Now if I can just get it all to work without any disk mounted…

<snip>

Thanks Barry. That is the answer I know I was hoping for, and that also
answers Sean's original question too. We can delete images from the SDC via
software.

I've been playing with the cmds.bas program from Darren via Allen's blog and
it just hangs in an infinite loop on line 140 when I run it. I've tried it
under HDB-DOS and RS-DOS, entering the various commands verbatim, but it
never gets past that check loop. Clearly I'm doing something incorrectly.
The SDC operates flawlessly on my system in all other respects.

I think I'll follow your suggestion of installing YA-DOS in the SDC. In
addition to the SDC support, the partitioning features sound interesting.
Though think I better do some backing up before I start experimenting.

Thanks for all the great info.  It is very much appreciated.