[Coco] PopStar Pilot - Game development Blog

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sun May 24 17:09:28 EDT 2015

Nick -

I've been following your PopStar Pilot game dev blog for a while now,
since you first announced it. Thank you for starting it back up again!

One thing I was wondering - while you do at times go into some brief
specifics on the techniques and algorithms used in your development
efforts, you don't delve into them too deeply; were you planning on
elaborating on these at a future date, after you finished development of
the game?

One of the things that has frustrated me (mostly in the past) is the
dearth of coding techniques, algorithms, and code for the CoCo 3 -
especially when it comes to the more advanced topics (scrolling,
sprites, music generation using interrupts, etc). There's always hints,
but few and far between has there been full explanations, which could
help others. It seems like everyone re-invents the wheel instead.

Something I have always wondered was whether there was a way to double
buffering or something similar on a stock 128K CoCo 3 - but in SECB -
with maybe some assembly helper code. Like - is there a way to tell SECB
to use a different area of memory for the CoCo 3 graphics commands, but
keep the HSCREEN pointed to the standard area - then have an ML routine
to copy the memory from one to the other - or swap the address pointers,
or something like that.

Just my idle thoughts...

--
Andrew L. Ayers