[Coco] FPGA CoCo's

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu May 21 20:12:28 EDT 2015

On 22/05/2015 9:52 AM, Dave Philipsen wrote:

> My first attempt was unsuccessful.  The CoCo FPGA Yahoo group has the files
> but the documentation really requires that you had been following the
> project pretty closely.  I purchased a DE1 board, loaded up the flash memory
> as the documentation apparently directs you to do, loaded the "sof" file and
> I did get a screen that looked like a CoCo screen and even got a partial
> Extended Basic boot message but the screen was full of garbage and I could
> never figure out why it didn't fully work.

TerASIC changed the memory part on the DE1 somewhere along the line and
CocoFPGA stopped working with the newer boards.

Gary has re-written much of the core and is hoping to release a new version
that will work on all DE1 boards, with other improvements as well.

The DE1 is host to a relatively large number of retro micro FPGA projects,
including the C64, Amiga, Apple II, TRS-80 etc etc so I have no doubt Gary
will overcome the niggly issues with CocoFPGA.

Regards,