[Coco] Any idea of the floppy disk unit I can connect to a 26-3029 controller ?

George Ramsower georgera at gvtc.com
Wed May 20 00:19:32 EDT 2015

On 5/19/2015 8:30 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 May 2015 13:27:15 Michael Graham wrote:
>> Most 1.44M drives will work, but you'll only be able to use them at
>> 720k capacity.  If you don't have any 720k disks, you can tape over
>> the density select hole on a 1.44M disk and use it as a 720k after a
>> reformat.
>>
>> --Michael
> You either have unusual drives, or unusually soft magnetically HD disks.
>
> With the hole taped over, most drives will cut the record current because
> the DD disk is easier to write to.  The taped over HD disk is not
> recorded strongly enough to keep.  Go find one you made a year ago, or
> even 2 weeks ago and there's a good chance you cannot read it today.

  I'm curious. If a 1.44 drive and floppies were used in the 1.44 mode
with 1.44 floppies and on a coco would that drive still work at all? I'm
thinking if one were to use it exclusively, could it work without trying
to cheat the system? Simply format 40 tracks single or double sided as
we are used to.
  Naturally, if this does work, the floppies would not be useable on a
normal drive we are used to.
George R