[Coco] Multipak and Drivewire

Ron ron at kdomain.org
Thu May 14 21:33:37 EDT 2015

Hi Bill, Michael..

Michael, your timing was perfect with your questions about DriveWire,
HDBDOS, etc...  I'm in a situation where I'm struggling to figure out
how to backup real physical floppy disks to my DriveWire 4 system.

My configuration is as follows:

Coco 3
MPI (upgraded PAL)
Distro Super Controller (I) in MPI slot 4.  EPROM 0 is default, boots to
RGBDOS and is physically connected to my floppy drives.
multiFLASH cart in MPI slot 3.  This has HDBDOS "flashed" and allows
access to DriveWire.

No matter which MPI slot I select (with MPI selector switch or poke), I
am unable to figure out the correct combination to allow access to the
physical floppy drives and DriveWire drives.  I have a pretty good
understanding of the various (but similar) DRIVE commands needed to
enable/disable real vs virtual drives.

I'm wondering if I will need an actual HDBDOS EPROM (for DW) burned and
installed in a floppy controller cart to access both types of drives at
the same time.  Am I running into a situation where both carts would map
to the same address space and I'm unable to use both at the same time?

Thank you for any help anyone can provide!

-Ron