[Coco] OT: 3D Printers...

Salvador Garcia ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net
Mon May 4 22:41:29 EDT 2015

I do not have a 3D printer, but do belong to the group called "I want one"

I have seen 3D printers costing $500, like this one:

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/3D_printing.aspx?ekw=3D_Printing&rd=1

Others easily hit $1000. I am still researching the pros and cons of buying expensive vs economic.

You can use different types of software to generate files that are compatible with 3D printers. Such programs include Sketchup and Blender,  Here is a list of some of the software, both free and commercial:

http://www.3ders.org/3d-software/3d-software-list.html

Printer manufacturers include the following:

Reprap
Makerbot

There are many more; these are just two that came to mind.

I would also like to refer you to a Makerspace whose members are into 3D printing and have experience with different types of 3D printers. They are friendly folks and I think any comments that they provide can nicely compliment any comments made here by others who actually have a printer.

Their name is Workshop 88 (http://www.workshop88.com/)

Their Google Group is here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/workshop88members

You will need a Google account and will have to log in to access that page. Also the link might take you a their group home page where you'll need to request to join.

I hope you find this info helpful. Salvador