[Coco] CoCo Disk Drives

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Mar 12 16:10:42 EDT 2015

Michael Brant wrote:
> I recently acquired  a set of drives for my CoCo 3.  I am using a FD502
> Controller.
>
> I seem to be getting no response from either drive 0 or drive 1.  I have an
> HDB-DOS Rom in my FD502 controller.  I am able to use Drivewire 3 to
> connect to my Mac Pro.
>
> Any ideas on the best way to test this out?  I tried the DIR command and
> get error messages, I had disks in both drives just to be certain they
> weren't cross wired.
>
> If one has two physical drives and drivewire, which order do the drive
> appear to the CoCo 3.
> would drives 0 and 1 be the physical drives and then drives 2, 3, 4 and 5
> be the drivewire drives?

HDBDOS by default will cold start with all the drives as hard drives or through
the serial port, ie. Drivewire. You must issue the command DRIVE OFF, which will
make the first 4 drive floppies; 0-3.
As you have two floppies, you can use DRIVE OFF 1 so that drives 0-1 will be
floppies and drives 2-255 will be via Drivewire.

Robert

---