[Coco] 6 Chip 6809 Computer - Final Design, Hopefully

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Mar 10 07:40:14 EDT 2015

On Tuesday 10 March 2015 05:47:11 Kip Koon wrote:
> Hi Gene,
> I did not know there was a maximum length for a url.  My browser has
> no problem with these links whatsoever.  I use the latest version of
> Firefox.

This iceweasal, 31.5.0 which is firefox with the firefox branding removed
because the branding is copyright mozilla, and not compatible with the
debian view of GPL compatibility. Mozilla makes others remove the
branding if they want to use the engine. 31.5.0 is  also somewhat long
in the tooth but works for 99% of the network news sites.

> You might want to try it.  It works well for me.  Here are
> the three links again with angle brackets. This is the main schematic.
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/dx7wvrpkk7qzabm/Grant%27s%206-Chip%206809%2
>0Computer%20-%20Exactly%20Like%20The%20Original%0Design%20tighter%20lay
>out%20Kipper%20Bus%20sch.pdf?dl=0> This is the power rails and DC input
> schematic.
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/avjexzf88bghgxe/Grant%27s%206-Chip%206809%2
>0Computer%20-%20Exactly%20Like%20The%20Original%0Design%20tighter%20lay
>out%20Kipper%20Bus%20sch%202.pdf?dl=0> This is the PCB Board layout.
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/gj1k632ktzlhyfs/Grant%27s%206-Chip%206809%2
>0Computer%20-%20Exactly%20Like%20The%20Original%20Design%20tighter%20la
>yout%20Kipper%20Bus%20brd.pdf?dl=0> They still get broke up so if you
> highlight both lines, copy and paste them into your browser, they
> should work.  I've always just highlighted all lines of a url in an
> email, copied and pasted them into Firefox and it immediately finds
> the web page with no problem.  I hope this helps you.  Take care my
> friend.

Still a 404 here.  From the looks of the address bar contents, the %20,
which is a hex for a space character, is being translated to a space by
something here, and a space is not legal in a valid html address.

That's likely a problem on this end.  You are stuck with what dropbox
gives you I expect, but this is why you
see_an_awful_lot_of_underscores_used_in_html_links
Their using the underscore as a hard space and that is then a legal url
to everyone.

If dropbox can be told to use them it would be a big plus. But I've never
used dropbox, so I have zilch experience with that site.

But its also one of the reasons, that when I need to put a large (usually
text) file someplace where others can look at it & spot my fubar's, I
use pastebin.ca.  Or I'll just put it someplace on my page & tell where
it is at in  an email to the appropriate mailing list.  The disadvantage
to that is the poorer uplink speed to you, around 300kb/sec.  One of the
reasons too, that I jpeg smunched that front page picture until it
yelled uncle.  The original 10 megabyte version looked good, but took
north of 40 seconds to load.  Its also why I, when I have lots of images
to show, I use jigl, As it shows you on entry to that directory, a
screen full of thumbnails, which is full screened on a click on one of
them, or yet another click returns the original image but needs to be
scrolled left/right/up/down because its bigger than your monitor screen.

The disadvantage to that is that I can't put a caption on the pix, only
in the pix. So while they can be read easily in the originals, the
shrinkage even in the full screen version destroys it.  Sort of a damned
if I do and damned if I don't.  A linked caption would be much more
usable but jigl can't do that.  Darn it.

> Kip Koon
> computerdoc at sc.rr.com
> http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon
>
> From Gene Heskett...
> <snip>
> This link won't work with most browsers as its way too long at 177
> active characters.  Nor is it surrounded by what is used in html as
> quotation marks, aka a <link> syntax.
>
> For stuff like this kip, turn off the word wrap in your email composer
> so it doesn't break up long lines, then surround the link with a set
> of <>, something like this: <snip>

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)