[Coco] Minted buffer size

Sat Mar 7 23:14:18 EST 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Heskett" <gheskett at wdtv.com>
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2015 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Minted buffer size

> On Saturday 07 March 2015 19:46:02 Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

I used it at lot when I was using a real CoCo and though I had made it bullet proof, but as many times you said you fired a gun one Saturday, perhaps not.

More details would be interesting but then perhaps not as it has been so many years since I looked at the code.

The version I started with was from one of the OS-9 user disks and was a real horror and I lost editing sessions many times until it was somewhat stable.

We users tend to use programs in ways the author never did so I might have missed something.

I gave it to a local CoCo Software collector (Thief) who gave it to a few friends but I never got any feedback or help with the documentation that was promised.

All I can say is what a Doctor said when the patent said it hurt when he raised his arm over his head. "Don't do that."

Series File Output (ALT CTRL O)  is what I would use to save the current editing session to a file ever so often, there is no room for a timed version like my word processor does.
Bill Pierce once said he was using  an editor with no line limit but thinking about that I do wonder if he was actually using a OSK version.

Your comment about "editors that can handle 100 megabyte files." Is how I handle the problem.

I have the "C" source code from Dr. Dobbs for "RED" which could handle files bigger than memory.

We lost a lot of talent when OSK came out and the people who could have fixed many of the things troubling us just left just like I did when Borland Turbo 'C" showed that there was a better way.

SHF