[Coco] NitrOS9 with Deluxe RS232 Pak

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jun 18 00:05:09 EDT 2015

On Wednesday 17 June 2015 23:35:52 Ron wrote:
> Hi Gene,
>
> I started reading through the OS9 Level 2 documentation and it helped
> me quite a bit.
>
> The ramdisk sounds very interesting!  I only have 512K of RAM (like
> most folks).  Wish there was a 2MB upgrade readily available to use
> for your ramdisk.  Perhaps someday.

It can be used with 512k, just not as big.  I have a 2 meg kit, and at
one time played with a 1.7 meg ramdisk, but it wasn't being anywhere
used while building rzsz, so I dropped it back to about  1/2 a meg,
still worked for big C compiles.

Ram problems in Nitros9/OS9 aren't generally main ram, but system ram,
the ram the OS uses to keep track of things, so those with more than
128k don't often see main ram failures.

We've made a few attempts to setup a 3rd ram allocation by separating the
scf and rbf modules into their own space, but haven't been successful
with the level3 effort, particularly with drivewire living in both scf
space and in rbf space.  I have an idea of how we might separate sysram
from main ram in order to be able to allocate another 8k block of memory
for use only when it is in system mode, but its not at all well fleshed
out, and unless a younger mind jumps on it (I'm 80, and TBT my interests
are more directed to cnc metal/wood carving machines these days, and I
am probably about a month from first chips on a new Grizzly GO704
milling machine, being told by a flea powered computer where to cut &
how fast, at an accuracy in the <.001" range) I suspect that will not
happen either.  Furniture carved to that level of accuarcy is a treat,
as are parts or stocks for one of my BP rifles.

> I have been using Drivewire, though it's been limited to DECB.
> Impressive way to replace the antiquated floppy drives.  Frees up more
> desk space (which is a good thing).  I'm amazed at the speed at which
> that bit-banger port operates!

It works just as well under Nitros9, once you figure out which modules
need to be swapped out for the drivewire equivalents.  That can be
tedious for the new bee though.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)