[Coco] sourceforge insurance

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 18:10:19 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 11:32 PM, RETRO Innovations wrote:
>    But, I think I disagree on the "teacup" point Tormond makes.  Yes, SF
>    probably won't remove things or delete them, but the community should
>    decide if they "approve" of SF's direction.  Yes, companies need to pay
>    the bills and monetize, but some of their recent decisions are highly
>    suspicious.  By staying with SF, this group (and the project) is
>    tactily approving of such actions.  If so, then fine, but understand
>    that the group is indeed being judged.

The community reacted and SF listened and changed course.

http://sourceforge.net/blog/sourceforge-past-present-and-future-working-to-maintain-the-integrity-of-our-open-source-backbone/

https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/discussion/communityvoice/thread/7e269a18/

We don't know what SF will do in the future, but we don't know what
github/etc will do in the future either.

What I do approve of, is that SF is run on open-source software. For
example github is a proprietary, closed-source service. By using
github you are approving of such actions. Dependency on proprietary,
closed-source software, on either side of the http connection, will
always come back to bite you. Whether this is important to the whole
nitros9 community I don't know. Those who do the work get to decide.

Tormod